The roof is actually one of the most important elements of our home, as it shields our home from rain, sun, and other elements of nature. Although a roof is vital to the integrity of our home and the protection of our family and properties from external factors, most homeowners give little thought to the maintenance and care of their roofs. This is simply because most homeowners give more thought to things they can interact with on a daily basis such as doors and windows, unlike a roof that is mostly “out of sight”. As a result, most roof damage goes unnoticed, leading to more damage that requires more money, time, and energy to fix. Read on to discover the most common types of roof damage you can’t afford to ignore, the dangers involved, and how to take care of your roofing problems.
Types of Roof Damage You Shouldn’t Ignore
Here are the most common types of roof damage that need your immediate attention:
1. Missing or Damaged Shingles
Missing or damaged shingles are an obvious sign of roof deterioration. A missing or damaged shingles allow water to penetrate the roof causing more damage to the structural integrity of the roof. Once you spot missing or damaged shingles, it is important to get them fixed to avoid major water leakage into the building. If you ignore the missing or damaged shingles, you will end up with roof leaks that can cause more damage to your home’s interior.
2. Roof Blisters
A roof blister often occurs when excessive heat from a poorly ventilated and overheated roof system damages the roofing materials. This looks like a bubble on your roof where the affected area is filled up with air or water to form a blister. Most homeowners tend to ignore small blisters without recognizing they can rapidly grow as more air or water accumulates, which can lead to a major roof leakage or damage.
3. Loose or Damaged Roof Flashing
Roof flashings prevent water from getting under the shingles by directing water away from seams and joints where water could penetrate the roof. Certain areas such as walls, chimneys, roof valleys, leaves shingles and underlayment are vulnerable to water damage. If you noticed a water problem in the attic or home, you should contact a roofing expert to come and access the roof as untrained eyes may not be able to tell if the flashing is loose or damaged.
4. Roof Punctures
A roof puncture occurs when weight and sharp pressure punches through the roof in one small area which leaves a hole in the roofing material. Roof puncture is obviously one of the most ignored types of roof damage as most people tend to overlook it. Ignoring roof punctures can cause more damage to the roof and allow moisture into your home.
Factors That Cause Roof Damage
There are several factors that can lead to roof deterioration or damage, but here are the most common ones:
- Roof damage from Stong Rain: The pressure and impact of strong rain can affect your shingles, allowing moisture to penetrate through the roof and cause damage.
- Roof damage from intense wind: Strong wind can lift up the edges of your shingles, leaving them susceptible to water damage.
- Roof damage from hail storms: Hail storms can be very harmful to your roof as they can leave dents in your shingles which dislodge the small protective granules that protect the roof from UV rays and helps in the shedding of water.
- Roof damage from tree branches: Tree branches can grow over the top of your roof, and could fall on top of your roof which can lead to damage to your shingles.
- Roof damage from roof debris: Roof debris can cause the backing up of water into the structure, thereby causing leaks and damage to the roof.
- Roof damage from the excessive sun: Exposure to excessive rays of sunlight can cause thermal expansion in your shingles which will damage your roof over time.
- Roof damage from poor attic ventilation: When your attic is not properly ventilated, heat gets trapped and buildup causing shingle deterioration.
- Roof damage from moisture: Water or moisture is the number one enemy of the roof. When moisture penetrates into your roof it damages the structural integrity of the roof and also causes more harm to the interior of your home.
The Dangers of Hidden Roof Damage
When roof damage is hidden out of sight, a lot of damage can be done to the roof as it takes more time to detect the issue and fix it. Such a roof is prone to deteriorate due to the extended presence of roof damage such as standing water or blisters that form within the membrane system. The best way to detect hidden roof damage and extend the lifespan of your roof is to call a Pro. A professional roofer has the skills, expertise, and equipment to discover hidden roof damage you might not see with your naked eyes.
Why You Should Never Ignore Minor Damage to Your Roof
Most of the major roofing problems started as minor damage to the roof. When common roofing problems go unattended, this weakens your roof structural integrity and exposes your roof to more damage. Most homeowners act as if by ignoring some minor roofing problems, it will magically go away but that has proven not to be the case. In fact, ignoring minor damage to the roof tends to be more costly as the problem could escalate and damage not only your entire roofing system but also your home’s interior. As a homeowner, the best way to save money, time, and energy is to quickly repair minor roof damages rather than ignore them.
Why You Should Take Care Of Your Roof
Your roof is the first line of defense against elements and unfavorable weather conditions. It is necessary to ensure your roof is in a good condition as a bad roof cannot protect you or your household. Unlike what some homeowners think, a healthy roof is an investment in their long-term wellness and one that would benefit them in the long run. Here are some core reasons why you should take care of your roof:
- A healthy roof protects your home from elements such as rain, snow, wind, hail, and other elements of nature.
- A healthy roof adds curb appeal to your home.
- A healthy roof increases the value of your home.
- A healthy roof keeps you, your family, and your properties safe from external factors.
- A healthy roof such as clay tile roofs and concrete roofs saves energy and keeps your home warm and insulated long after the sun goes down.
Need a Professional Roofer for Repairs?
Hiring a professional roofer is ultimately the best way to tackle your roof repair project. Roofing experts can help to identify hidden roof damage which can cause more harm to your home when left unattended. This kind of damage weakens the integrity of the roof making the roof more susceptible or prone to more roof damage which will eventually lead to roof deterioration or collapse. To improve the life expectancy and quality of your roof, consider hiring a professional roofer to ensure all your roof repairs are done safely and properly.